Wireless Wonders

No news, just comment about mobile phones and services, from a veteran practitioner...3G, GPRS, WAP, Bluetooth, WiFi, etc...

Friday, July 01, 2005

Your nearest WiFi zone is...

Russell Buckley and his new Mobhappy blog posts about recent conclusions as to why location based services (LBS) haven't been successful. I posted my comments here...

Accuracy! That's what we need. We don't all congregate in Oxford Street (London) where there are more base stations than McDonalds and we can see the nearest cash machine anyway (and who needs cash?)

Most of us move in areas where we try to use LBS on the operator portal and the "nearest" whatever is always strangely near a cellular mast, somewhere past umpteen of the things you're actually looking for. I still recall attending an operator "developer forum" where the LBS "manager" said "we've done tests" and "users don't need the accuracy of GPS"....

Perhaps they're worried we might actually find the nearest WiFi hotspot...

Buy my book (Amazon US/UK)
Join my email list
Subscribe to my "100 Mobile Product Ideas" free e-book

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home