Wireless Wonders

No news, just comment about mobile phones and services, from a veteran practitioner...3G, GPRS, WAP, Bluetooth, WiFi, etc...

Friday, June 17, 2005

The Blackberry name...

I remember when I posted about the Blackberry on a business networking website. Someone replied - in complete seriousness - that they had a huge bush in their garden that produces lots of fruit.

Nonetheless, the name has been re-purposed in some circles. Mention the name Blackberry and people know that you actually mean a mobile email device, later nicknamed the Crackberry by some addicts.

That nickname only improved the popularity of the device, unlike Nokia's Communicator, which was dubbed "The Brick".

So, did the name Blackberry make a difference to sales? Well, that's a hard one. But, certainly the brand name has had success.

If you haven't already heard about it, I recommend reading Wordcraft, a fascinating book about the naming of products and how important naming can be. It includes a very detailed insider story about the Blackberry!

Buy my book (Amazon US/UK)
Join my email list
Subscribe to my "100 Mobile Product Ideas" free e-book

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home