Wireless Wonders

No news, just comment about mobile phones and services, from a veteran practitioner...3G, GPRS, WAP, Bluetooth, WiFi, etc...

Saturday, April 16, 2005

No exciting services allowed...

In my latest assignment, I'm up to my eyeballs in specifications. I've been going over all the specs relating to IP Multimedia System (IMS) and Push-to-talk Over Cellular (PoC) (...why that lower case "o"?) The general subject area is genuinely interesting....

Well, to me it's interesting because I can see all kinds of interesting possibilities for new services. If you regularly read this blog (thank you if you do) you will know that I am an "ideas man". I look at technology and see applications, as do many of you I'm sure. Although, not everyone...

Today, when I read about IMS in Communicate magazine, I thought that I was reading about something entirely alien to my perception of the technology (and the specs). Being a telecoms magazine, of course the "c" word - convergence - was in evidence: FMC - fixed mobile convergence, as if this was the be all and the end all of an IMS world. That may be one avenue of potential, but no mention anywhere of exciting new services, or the possibility of exciting services.

The spec of one vendor's solution in this general area contained the statement "no 3rd party applications supported". They may as well have written "no exciting services allowed"....

Buy my book (Amazon US/UK)
Join my email list
Subscribe to my "100 Mobile Product Ideas" free e-book

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home